December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Statistics
We have 861 registered users
The newest registered user is akt991

Our users have posted a total of 1208 messages in 336 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 32 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:22 pm

CREDIBILITY OF PPRA AUDIT SOMETIMES QUESTIONABLE?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: CREDIBILITY OF PPRA AUDIT SOMETIMES QUESTIONABLE?

Post  RJM on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:13 pm

Mrisho wrote:

It is not clear whether those engaged by the Authority declare their interest in any of the projects or stakeholders involved in projects they are assigned to audit.?

This is a big question and valid observation. Most of the Individual Consultants (ICs) who engaged by PPRA are employees of the consulting firms or owner of the firms. Ethically one would expect that ICs to declare interesting for the projects that they have been involved directly - I believe most of them would do that! However, what is happening in the real world is different - not telling the truth on the problem of the projects. Why? Most of the these ICs know each other and know which project is being managed by which firm. Do you think they will reveal "Madudu " of other projects while they have projects could be audited by their counterparts? The game plan is "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". Mrisho, my observation could be another angle of your observation in the issue.

Why some of PPRA Audit Appointees have been isolating the Project Consultants when exercising their duties and instead have been compelling the PE STAFF to respond on the queries even the technical ones. What do they expect from the Clients (PEs) who are not professionally conversant with technical issues and instead the PPRA Auditors decline the participation of Technical Consultants in either Entry/Exit meeting. What is rational departure of this participatory spirit as conceived by the Auditors? Is this one of the PPRA directives to their appointees either during orientation seminar or TOR provided to them by the Authority?

Mrisho, as far as I know auditing is the process (kick-off meeting, auditing exercise, exiting meeting, responding to audit findings, verification of the findings (if need be) & publishing of the report). Findings of audits or investigations are normal based on the facts and fairness. PE has the room to challenge findings (responding to findings stage) if are not based on the facts backed up by evidences - this where PE need its Project Consultants. I am unsure if real PPRA decline the participation of Project Consultants in those meetings you are referring to - if this is the case, this would be unprofessional - PE do engage Consultant to work on their behalf on the technical issues which they do not have expertise. I have evidenced one exiting meeting which the Project Consultants where present - it was hit debate and end up without a winner! As we all know the existing meeting is not the end of the process [parties tend to maintain positions]. PEs are normally given to opportunity to respond to the findings. This is the stage where PE should use all the resources/weapons within they mandate to respond to the findings (call whoever you think can help you to argue your case in order to refute the findings/allegations - at this stage your reputation/image is at risk). From my own experience, sometimes findings, facts and evidences presented are so apparently to be challenged by PEs. In the event PE succeeded to respond by facts and evidences acceptable to the Auditor - Auditor has no option other than to drop the findings or allegations.

Mrisho, you need to be strong when arguing your case.

RJM

Location : What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CREDIBILITY OF PPRA AUDIT SOMETIMES QUESTIONABLE?

Post  RSM on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:15 am

Mrisho,

I think the auditors appointed by PPRA are service providers in as far as procurement audits and investigations are concerned. If he/she gives wrong or malicious information just to tarnish the image of their rivalry and if that information can be proved to be true that will amount to me a mis-representation which is punishable under the law.

RSM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

CREDIBILITY OF PPRA AUDIT SOMETIMES QUESTIONABLE?

Post  MRISHO on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:28 pm

hellow dear forum members...

kindly assist me on these issues....

Certainly I wish to congratulate PPRA for the noble work  they have been doing with regards to procurement. Sincerely they have been gradually improving the status of public procurement in our country and being active enabling organ for Value for Money Procurement.

It goes without saying that the construction industry is dominated by private firms and practice both on consultancy services and contracting respective sides. It is unfortunate that the Authority has not developed in-house capacity to carry out Procurement Audit for many of the selected projects and therefore, drawing the services from the private sector. It is not clear whether those engaged by the Authority declare their interest in any of the projects or stakeholders involved in projects they are assigned to audit.?

Also, we are aware that PPRA has been recommending some measures to be taken against either PE staff or whoever contributed to the contravention of procurement legislation or any act affecting procurement proceedings. But a point of interest to note, what if in the later information, after public release of audit findings, noted and confirmed that the audit findings were intentionally cooked in favour of auditor against his/her rivalry in the audited PE and its associates stakeholders being consultants or anyone involved. What are the measures in place to address this issue? The only measures stated in the procurement legislation are:- Any wrong doing for contracting firm, it may be blacklisted, PE staff may be disciplined as per his/her official code of conduct/ staff disciplinary regulations etc..PPRA AUDIT Appointees????

Why some of PPRA Audit Appointees have been isolating the Project Consultants when exercising their duties and instead have been compelling the PE STAFF to respond on the queries even the technical ones. What do they expect from the Clients (PEs) who are not professionally conversant with technical issues and instead the PPRA Auditors decline the participation of Technical Consultants in either Entry/Exit meeting. What is rational departure of this participatory spirit as conceived by the Auditors? Is this one of the PPRA directives to their appointees either during orientation seminar or TOR provided to them by the Authority? .

Last edited by MRISHO on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : editorial)

MRISHO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top